Memorial Sculpture – Kaliningrad Death-march
Approx: H: 7 meters. This sculpture honours thousands of victims whom the Nazis force- marched from the concentration camps on the approach of the Russian army. They were systematically machine-gunned on the ice of the Baltic Sea on January 1945. The location of this massacre took place near the German amber mines of Palmnicken – today’s Yantarny in the province of Kaliningrad. The symbols of the sculpture are arms raised in desperation from the water level to depict the drowned victims. The arms display the tattoos with which victims of the concentration camps were marked by the Nazis. The six sided marble base includes six bar relief bronze panels depicting images of the suffering in the camps in which the murdered victims were held. An Eternal Flame burns in the centre.